Heard this word time and again, but didn't really know what exactly it meant or why it matters? Read on to find out!
What is Hypoallergenic Jewellery?
Hypoallergenic jewellery is a term of reference given but not limited to gold- plated and silver plated jewellery to indicate that they are safe-to-wear, this is because generally according to the purity of the metal of Silver/ Gold, amounts of Nickel present can cause allergic reactions.
Hypoallergenic jewellery simply means that the amount of Nickel in these pieces of jewellery are well below what is considered the unsafe limit.
Is there a difference between Hypoallergenic jewellery and Nickel-free jewellery?
Yes! And this is where it gets important. While Hypoallergenic jewellery can be considered safe-to-wear, they still MAY contain trace amounts of Nickel, enough to cause allergic reactions to some wearers. Hence, it is always important that the jewellery you are buying specifically mentions the term 'NICKEL-FREE'
But, why is it necessary?
A great question! Almost 15% of all jewellery users are allergic to the metal, Nickel and the reaction can be shown in the lighter forms such as redness and rashes around the area where jewellery is worn and to more severe cases - itching & blistering that could leave permanent scarring on your skin.
How do I identify safe jewellery?
Always ensure that your retailers are specifically using the terms 'Hypoallergenic' and 'Nickel-free'. There are many brands that claim that since they use 925 silver or 24k gold their jewellery is safe, but this is not always true! To understand more about Gold-plated or Silver-plated jewellery, check out these blogs.
Where can I find Hypoallergenic Jewellery?
Well, all the jewellery at Silvia Gnecchi is both, hypoallergenic and Nickel-free, guaranteeing the highest level of safety. Needless to say, when wearing a Silvia Gnecchi you don't just feel beautiful but also be rest assured that you are safe!